Hollywood smile treatment is a total dental smile makeover, also called 'change your smile aesthetics' is a popular treatment.
Zirconium Porcelain crowns
Classic porcelain crowns use a metal base which means a more opaque and artificial-looking crown covering is needed. From an aesthetic perspective porcelain crowns fused to a zirconium base have a great advantage for the front and premolar teeth in that they allow for a more transparent, thus natural, appearance.
Metal bases also cause a grey ring to form on the edge of the gums which can negatively affect the attractiveness of a smile as well as the gums. The use of zirconium bases removes this problem.
Another advantage zirconium offers is that they don’t reflect the dark colouring root canal treatment caused in teeth. Zirconium is thus a perfect material for tooth restoration in cases of excessive loss of dental material and colouration after root canal treatment.
In addition to being an effective treatment option that prevents the formation of grey rings on the gums, zirconium also prevents the gums from opening around the crowns or receding. Zirconium porcelain crowns can also be used to replace less aesthetic metal based bridges for the front and premolar teeth. However, it isn’t necessary to replace these metal based crowns and bridges if such problems don’t exist for 7-8 years after the previous dental restoration work.
Porcelain laminates are thin veneers ranging from 0.3-0.7mm in thinness that are applied to the front surface of the teeth. These translucent laminates mimic the appearance of natural teeth and are the quickest aesthetic treatment to restore the teeth’s colour and shape.
What Are the Differences Between Porcelain Laminates and Classic Porcelain Crowns?
- Porcelain laminates require less of the original teeth to be removed than classic porcelain crown. Only a minimal amount of the front of the teeth are etched away.
- Porcelain veneers can be fitted to the upper teeth without the need for any etching or cutting of the teeth.
- The length of treatment is very short. They can be fitted in 5-6 days if the teeth don’t require root canal treatment or the gums are healthy.
Who Can Have Porcelain Fitted?
- Those who don’t like the shape of their teeth.
- Those who have heavily stained teeth (tetracycline, yellow teeth etc.)
- Those who have gaps between their teeth.
- Those who have large, coloured fillings in their front teeth.
- Those with broken, chipped or worn teeth.
- Those who have all their teeth and have not previously had restorations using laminates.
- Those who have healthy gums. Unhealthy gums need to be healed first before porcelain laminates can by fitted.
How Quickly Can Porcelain Be Fitted?
Porcelain laminates can be fitted in 5-6 days as long as the gums don’t require treatment or the teeth root canal treatment.
What Should I Pay Attention to After My Porcelain crowns Have Been Fitted?
- Oral hygiene and care for porcelain laminates are the same that are recommended for natural teeth. You should effectively brush your teeth twice a day by massaging the area where your teeth exit the gums in a circular motion while holding your toothbrush at a 45° angle.
- Floss your teeth daily.
- Use a dental toothbrush once a day.
- Avoid nuts with shells.
Can Porcelain crowns Fall Off or Break? How Long Do They Last For?
Porcelain laminates fitted by dentists don’t fall off. They last for 10-20 years as long they have been well-fitted and are well looked after. Receding gum lines or other illnesses can cause porcelain laminates to last not as long. Should the porcelain laminates suffer minor chipping, they can be repaired with white fillings.
Dt. Muhammed ALMAS